Try A Tricep Dip During the Harbor Health May Fitness Challenge
Making Physical Activity More Accessible for All!
Getting physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health and mental well-being. But finding time, a safe location, and affordable options for exercise can be extremely hard to do.
To make getting exercise more convenient and accessible to the community, we’re sharing fitness challenges with a new exercise each month! The challenges are built around simple exercises for many different levels of fitness. Our goal is to make it possible for someone to do them anywhere, anytime, without equipment, indoors or outdoors.
The exercise of the month this May is Tricep Dips! The tricep is the muscle that run on the backside of your upper arm, from your shoulder to your elbow. This exercise is intend to help you build strength and tone in your arms.
Here’s how you do a tricep dip:
- Position your hands shoulder-width apart on a secured bench, stable chair, couch, or bed, or use the floor.
- Slide your butt off the front of the bench or chair with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in your elbows to keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until your elbows are at about a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your back close to the bench or chair.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the bench to straighten your elbows, returning to the starting position.
Make sure to keep your shoulders down as you lower and raise your body. To modify the exercise, bend your legs for more support and work up to extending them as you make progress.
Click or tap the button below to download the full May Fitness Challenge calendar and add reps each day!
[button type=”info” size=”lg” link=”https://www.hhsi.us/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Harbor-May-2019-fitness-challenge.pdf”]Download the MayFitness Challenge Calendar[/button]
REMEMBER – If you don’t already exercise or you’re unsure of your health status, talk with your provider before starting a new program!
Looking for a new a primary care provider? You can find a provider at Harbor Community Health Center near you.
Free Summer Fitness Series in Boston!
The Boston Public Health Commission, the Boston Parks & Recreation Department, and Blue Cross Blue Shield MA are once again sponsoring the Boston Parks Summer Fitness Series! The series runs every week starting Monday, June 3 through Saturday, September 28 and offers FREE fitness classes in Boston Parks across Boston’s neighborhoods. All are welcome!
To see the complete list of classes, times, and locations, visit bphc.org/summerfitness!
You can also go to The Boston Parks Summer Fitness Series launch event on May 30, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm in Copley Square!