Pride Month Celebrations and Reflections
Time to Support, Observe, Listen, and Learn!
June is Pride Month! It’s a time to come together to celebrate the freedom of LGBTQA+ individuals to be themselves.
Harbor Health proudly celebrates Pride Month! We also recognize Pride Month as a time to show support, observe, listen, and learn.
Harbor’s Sexuality and Gender Acceptance Committee (SAGA) is helping our efforts to make our health centers and workplace welcoming and inclusive for all. During Pride Month, SAGA is sharing a variety of important statistics that show some of the health issues and challenges members of the LGBTQA+ community regularly face.
We have listed some of these statistics below so we can all better understand where we can help the people and patients we care about.
- 8% of gay patients have been refused treatment
- 27% of transgender patients have been refused treatment
- About 50% of gay individuals have felt discriminated against by their doctor
- About 70% of trans individuals have felt discriminated against by their doctor
Mental illness experiences…
- 3.5% of the U.S population that identifies as lesbian, gay, or bisexual
- About 25% of LGBT individuals abuses substances compared to 9% of the overall population
- 39% of LGB individuals reported having a mental illness in the past year
- 48% of transgendered adults reported they considered suicide in the past year compared to 4% of the overall population
LGBT youth experiences…
- 92% of LGBT youth say they hear negative comments about being LGBT
- LGB high school students are almost 5 times as likely to attempt suicide
- LGBT youth are twice as likely as their peers to experience bullying and/or physical assault.
- 4 out of 10 LGBT Youth believe that their community is not accepting of LGBT individuals
Senior and elder experiences…
- There are 1.1 million LGBT adults over the age of 65 in the U.S.
- 33% of LGBT older adults live in poverty
- They are twice as likely to live alone and three to four times less likely to have children to support them
- They are less likely to disclose orientation in health settings
Many thanks to the SAGA Committee for raising awareness throughout Harbor!
Our SAGA Committee also recommends the following resources:
The History Of Pride Month And What It Can Teach Us About Moving Forward
LGBT Pride Month: What To Know About Its History, Events, Parades
Resource Guide: Racial Justice 101
Celebrating Pride Month and Rallying for Racial Equity
All are welcome at Harbor Health!
At Harbor Health, we provide medical, dental, and behavioral health care to everyone. We serve everyone, regardless of gender identity, orientation, or insurance status.
To find a Harbor community health center near you, visit hhsi.us/location